family law aberdeen services

Child Contact and Custody Lawyer Aberdeen

Child Contact and Child Residence Lawyer AberdeenChild custody, contact and residence advice from Family Law Aberdeen. Contact our friendly team today to find out how we could help. Please complete our on-line enquiry form or call us on 01224 515591

When a marriage or relationship breaks down, the main concern for most couples is to make sure that a mutually agreeable child care and contact arrangement is reached for their children. Many couples are able to agree between themselves about who their children will live with and what the arrangements will be for the other parent’s contact with the child.

However, for some parents it can be difficult for them to come to an agreement about these matters on their own. The end of a relationship or marriage can be an extremely difficult time for all involved.

Family Law Aberdeen have a team of friendly family lawyers who can help you work towards a solution.

Parental Rights and Responsibilities

Following the Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006, a child’s parents are both given parental rights and responsibilities (known as PRRs) provided they are both named on the birth certificate or the parents are married.

In cases where the child’s mother and father did not register the birth together, they can get Parental rights and responsibilities by following one of the below procedures.

  • If the child’s parents subsequently marry, both parents will then have parental rights and responsibilities.
  • Signing and registering a Parental Responsibilities and Parental Rights Agreement.
  • By making an application to the court.

It is important to note that people other than parents can apply for parental rights and responsibilities over a child. Often this will be a close family member such as a grandparent, aunt or uncle but it is not restricted to family members.

When both parents have parental rights and responsibilities this means that they are on an equal footing with each other. Therefore reaching decisions about where a child will live and how often they will see each parent is the responsibility and right of both parents. 

In Scotland the terms Residence (where and with whom a child will live) and Contact (with whom and when a child will see the other parent) are used in place of Custody and Access.

We will always outline to clients the various ways in which they can try to resolve any disputes regarding their children including the alternative ways of resolving disputes such as mediation, collaborative family law and arbitration.

Child Contact Lawyers Aberdeen

Family Law Aberdeen are a trusted and friendly team of local lawyers who can assist you with all aspects of child contact and child residence. Contact us today to find out how we can help.

To find out how we can assist you in resolving issues relating to children, and other our family law services, please complete our on-line enquiry form or call us on 01224 515591.

no legal aid

Enquire now

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input