Family Law Aberdeen Latest News

Welcome to the latest legal news from Family Law Aberdeen

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Tags
    Tags Displays a list of tags that have been used in the blog.
  • Login
Posted by on in Cohabitation
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 36890
  • 0 Comments

Family structure and living arrangements in America

Recent data from the U.S. Census Bureau has revealed an increase in the proportion of young adults living in their parents' home. The percentage of men age 25 to 34 living in the home of their parents rose from 14% in 2005 to 19% in 2011 and from 8% to 10% over the period for women.

 

These statistics come from America's Families and Living Arrangements: 2011, a series of tables from the 2011 Current Population Survey providing a look at the socio-economic characteristics of families and households at the national level.

Other key findings include:

  • In general, the percentage of all households that contain just one person has risen over the last half of the 20th century and into the 21st century. The percentage of such households rose from 13% in 1960 to 28% in 2011.
  • Of the 74.6 million children younger than 18 in 2011, most (69%) lived with two parents, while another 27% lived with one parent and 4% with no parents. Of those children who lived with two parents, 92% lived with two biological or two adoptive parents.
  • Of the 67.8 million opposite sex couples who lived together, 89% were married couples, while the remaining 11% were unmarried.
  • In 2011, there were about 7.6 million unmarried couples cohabiting.
  • In 2011, married couples with children made up 20% of all households, half what they were in 1970 (40%).

 

Comments